HostGator Web Hosting Review
HostGator is a large and well-established web hosting provider, offering affordable, feature-rich plans for individuals and businesses. It is a cost-effective option for anyone wanting to gain a professional presence online. Shared, reseller, VPS, and dedicated hosting options are available, giving plenty of flexibility to grow.
HostGator also offers low-cost packages specifically designed for WordPress-driven websites. This provides a faster, more secure environment for customers who use WordPress as their Content Management System (CMS). HostGator WordPress hosting comes with WordPress pre-installed, plus free security updates.
With features like 99.9% uptime, fast speeds, a free SSL certificate, and free migrations from other hosts, HostGator is a great value, reliable web host. It excels on all fronts: price, range of features, reliability, and speed. For the price, few hosts can offer the range of features and reliability that Hostgator does.
Customers can purchase HostGator web hosting with complete peace of mind, thanks to a 45-day money-back guarantee. Should a problem arise, HostGator has reliable support via live chat, telephone, and email. But if the hosting experience is not as expected, customers can request a free, no-hassle refund.
HostGator General Info & Hosting Overview
AVG. UPTIME (180 Days):
PING SPEED (Fremont, US):
SUPPORT (Live Chat/Email/Phone/Knowledgebase):
24/7, 365 days a year
SITE TRANSFER (including files, databases, domain name and full cPanel transfer):
1 free website migration
MONEY BACK POLICY (all packages, except dedicated servers, administrative fees, and install fees for custom software):
Advantages of HostGator:
1. Efficient support – HostGator provides a knowledge base, phone, email, and live chat support. During our tests, we found the live chat option was the fastest method, connecting us to a service rep in around 15 seconds. Email and telephone support is also prompt, although there can be slight delays during busy periods.
2. Reliable – HostGator now offers a 99.9% uptime guarantee. This is among the best on the market at this price point. Customers who require high levels of uptime to avoid disruption to business can trust HostGator to deliver. However, it is worth noting that the 99.9% uptime guarantee does not include scheduled maintenance.
3. Fast – Site loading times at HostGator are extremely fast. This has a number of benefits in terms of customer retention and SEO. Customers are more likely to stay online and make a purchase on speedy websites. Fast page loading is also known to play a role in ensuring positive search engine rankings.
4. 45-day money-back guarantee – HostGator is so confident in their service that they extend the industry-average 30-day refund policy to 45 days for new clients. Please note: This excludes dedicated servers, administration fees, and installation fees for custom software or domain name purchases.
5. Site Security Features Available – HostGator’s shared hosting plans come with many security features as standard. The web host has advanced anti-malware and DDoS protection, helping to keep your website safe and secure. Email is also available with anti-spam and anti-virus protection.
6. Free Site & cPanel Migrations – Free website and cPanel migrations are available for new customers. HostGator will move a basic website from any existing host and (if required), set up the cPanel. This is a great feature for new or inexperienced customers who need to move hosts quickly and smoothly.
Hostgator Prices, Hosting Plans:
Pros & Cons of Using HostGator Hosting
HostGator is one of the largest and longest-established hosting companies in the industry, with over 2 million websites hosted. That said, they do not rest on their laurels and constantly make improvements to ensure maximum customer satisfaction. Besides cost-effective pricing, HostGator provides a 99.9% uptime guarantee. Plans also come with unmetered bandwidth, so there are no surprise usage fees. One of the major benefits is speed. HostGator’s cloud hosting network makes use of mirrored servers and caching to optimize website loading times.
Other advantages at HostGator include a free SSL certificate, easy one-click installation of popular apps, such as WordPress, and a free domain name for one year. HostGator manages to pack in a great list of features for a reasonable price. But there are a few minor drawbacks. The pricing structure is not as transparent as it could be. Customers must also pay upfront to take advantage of the low entry rates.
Despite being a large hosting company, HostGator has decent customer service. They provide support via live chat, telephone, email, and social media. Occasionally, there can be slight delays during busy times. But by and large, the customer service is better than the industry average.
In summary, HostGator is a great choice for anyone wanting an easy-to-use, affordable web hosting package with guaranteed uptime and a plethora of features. It is especially recommended for anyone new to website hosting. The pricing is highly competitive for the level of service and number of features. WordPress users, in particular, should consider HostGator’s specialist WordPress Hosting plans.*
* Information correct at the time of publishing
Disclosure of earnings: we use affiliate links in all of the hosting services that appear on this page. This means we earn a commission if you purchase hosting services through the links and ads without any extra cost to you. This commission helps us cover the costs of the running the site. Thank you for your support! Read more