DreamHost Web Hosting Review
DreamHost is a long-established web hosting provider, originally launched in 1996. The company has great experience in the web hosting industry and offers a generous amount of features for a competitive price. It is suitable for all types of websites, from hobby sites and startups to SMEs and corporate sites.
Just In: Bluehost Review
They offer standard shared hosting and WordPress-specific hosting, plus VPS, dedicated, and cloud hosting for more demanding website projects. DreamHost also has managed WordPress hosting plans for users who need a secure, well-maintained and fine-tuned environment for mission-critical WordPress websites.
With reasonably fast loading times, impressive uptime, and a 97-day money-back guarantee, DreamHost is well worth considering for basic or more complex web hosting. The money-back guarantee is among the best on the market. New, inexperienced customers benefit from many user-friendly tools and features.
With a free domain name, free SSL, website builder, and free migrations, DreamHost is a reliable and flexible choice for any type of hosting project. All plans come with free email hosting and automatic backups, plus near-instant WordPress setup (if required). DreamHost is also listed as an officially recommended WordPress host.
DreamHost General Info & Hosting Overview
AVG. UPTIME (180 Days):
PING SPEED (Freemont, US):
SUPPORT (Live chat):
Unlimited Data Transfer
Free for single WordPress sites ($99 for other sites)
MONEY BACK POLICY (Shared plans only):
97-Day (excludes check/money order payments, domain names, SSL certificates, AdWords credits, and similar extras)
Advantages of Dreamhost:
1. Good uptime of 99.94% – The uptime at DreamHost averages 99.94%. This is well above average and similar to many other ‘top 10’ hosts we review. The company has a guaranteed uptime policy, but this does not include scheduled maintenance. Most users will be very pleased with the level of consistent uptime.
2. Focus on green credentials – DreamHost endeavours to offset their office and data centre carbon footprint wherever possible through the use of renewable energy sources and technologies. For anyone seeking a web host with an environmental focus, DreamHost is a good option alongside competitors like GreenGeeks.
3. Domain transfer service – Dreamhost will renew a user’s domain name for one year, free of charge. This is a popular option for customers who are just starting out online, or for those who are migrating from another host and need to save money. Free domain transfers are available alongside free website migrations.
4. Shared hosting advanced features – DreamHost is one of the most feature-rich web hosts online. For the price, they offer some of the best shared hosting features on the market, appealing largely to new users and smaller websites.
Below is a range of advanced features on the shared hosting plan:
– Unlimited MySQL Databases
– Subversion Repository (SVN)
– Server Side Includes (SSI)
– Support for PHP 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3
– DreamHost Control Panel
– Full Unix Shell
– Access to Raw Log Files
– Crontab Access
– Full CGI Access
– Canned CGI Scripts
– Reseller & Sub Accounts
– Secure Shell (SSH) Access
– IPv6 Support
– Rails, Python, Perl Support
– Unlimited SFTP Users
Pros & Cons of Using DreamHost Hosting
DreamHost offers unlimited traffic (subject to a fair use policy) and unlimited storage, even on its most affordable plan. The company provides 99.94% uptime on average. This is better than many competing hosting providers at this price point. Their 97-day money-back guarantee is among the best in the industry. The majority of competing hosts have a 30-day guarantee. Other perks include a free domain name, free SSL, SSD storage, free site migrations, and one-click install apps. The service also has a user-friendly control panel that is simple to use. Non-technical customers will find DreamHost one of the most user-friendly providers.
While there are many advantages to DreamHost, there are some negative aspects to consider. The cheapest plan available only supports one website. Customers must pay almost double the price to host unlimited websites. Email accounts are unavailable on the most basic shared hosting plan. Many rival hosts offer email as standard. But users can add on email support for a small fee. To get the lowest prices, customers must lock-in for 3 years. A month-to-month rolling contract is much more expensive. Customer support is available all day, everyday via live chat and a ‘help bot’. The reports are mixed when it comes to customer support. People sometimes report slow customer service during busy periods. Telephone support can also be difficult to access at times. More responsive customer service is available from other hosting providers for a similar price.
In summary, DreamHost is a feature-rich, low-cost option for individuals or businesses wanting reliable, fast website hosting with unlimited storage and data transfer. The provider is perhaps best suited for shared and WordPress hosting. It has a number of specialist WP packages and offers free WordPress site migrations. However, the customer support could be better. Even so, a 97-day money-back guarantee gives users peace of mind should they wish to cancel their account. The starting prices may be slightly higher than the competition, but being upfront about the prices, they leave no room for confusion further down the line.*
* Information correct at the time of publishing
Disclosure of earnings: we use affiliate links in all of the hosting services that appear on this page. This means we earn a commission if you purchase hosting services through the links and ads without any extra cost to you. This commission helps us cover the costs of the running the site. Thank you for your support! Read more